The rotisserie style of cooking has been around as long as humans have been cooking over fires and in the past has been used to cook things as large as whole cows. The rotation during cooking is very important to this method for several reasons, the first obviously being the even distribution of heat over the meat and a hog roast machine is very good at doing this. The second and less obvious is that the rotation causes the meat to baste itself during the cooking process, thus helping to keep the meat moist.
• Way cheaper to feed a lot of people compared to a regular barbecue or a buffet
• Can use gas if you’re not great with fire
• Complete control over distribution of heat by controlling the amount of coal or the intensity of the burner under each area, allowing you to slow cook tough areas and quick cook tender ones
• Looks really impressive
• Makes awesome crackling
• Can constantly monitor the heat in all areas of the pig
• Takes a long time to cook, so takes on a smoky flavor
• Causes the meat to constantly self-baste
• Sudden heat spikes from flare-ups can burn crackling
• Really difficult to do in windy or rainy conditions
• Takes much longer than the Caja China method
• Once the crackling is ready, you will have to fight ravenous guests to prevent them from tearing chunks off before the meat is ready
•Need a hog roast machines to execute the best results
Where to Get a Hog
Sourcing a whole pig is not difficult; you just have to decide what type of pig you want. But, if you are going to roast a whole hog, it is worth spending a little more money for a great pig— quality pork really shines through. Especially when you get a really solid affordable hog roast machine (hogroastmachine.co.uk) to bring out the flavours you marinate it with.